I just sent an email to 10,000 people in the hopes that a few of them need the info we sent. For whatever reason, the IRS decided to give people literally 60 hours notice that they needed to submit additional paperwork or they won't get the stimulus money for the kids they care for.
We don't send a lot of direct assistance info on our list, so I paused before writing it (which I should have saved for later, since I just sent it rather than scheduling it, a personal failure to pause and do it right). And maybe I sent it because it makes me so mad.
The group of people who are impacted are people who are on social security income and take care of kids. I don't know who the universe of those people are really. Although, there are some qualifying conditions of getting these benefits - they are old and/or low income and/or have a disability. And in this situation, all take care of kids.
What I know are the people in my life who fall into this category.
And it makes me so mad that the feds and their pettiness don't think that these grandmas who take care of their kids and grandkids, and the neighborhood, and the tenant association, deserve this. They think, somehow, that the fact that they could get it next year, if they file their taxes, which they explicitly do not have to do because their income comes from the federal government, is an acceptable outcome.
(A lot of that paragraph was all caps in my head)
And furthermore... they have the audacity to call the extremely dense email - that was sent to god-knows-who from the IRS on April 20 saying that people have till noon on April 22 to comply or not get the money this year - a campaign. They're calling it the "Plus $500 Push." Like 2 days is enough time for a public education push. for literally anything.
I just keep thinking of women I know who hold households and communities together that are on SSI/SSDI, and it just makes me mad and sad at how undervalued they are, and this is just a straw. I think about where this money will go, how deeply it's needed. And I think of the love they have poured into me and how much I value it.
Mutual aid to me means we use every resource we have to pull money out of the federal government and into the hands of people who scrape by every day.
Sigh.
As I plugged in my computer that just died on me because I was too busy ranting, I just reflected on the fact that both of the last 2 days, I woke up, went literally immediately to work (in bed, then rolling into clothes just in time to make my work video call), worked straight thru, then did a little project, dinner or painting my attic, then back to bed, laptop, and an hour or two of work while watching some gawdawful TV show. It may not be the best pattern. Ending my day stressing out over something someone sent me late, or I realized I need to do.
We don't send a lot of direct assistance info on our list, so I paused before writing it (which I should have saved for later, since I just sent it rather than scheduling it, a personal failure to pause and do it right). And maybe I sent it because it makes me so mad.
The group of people who are impacted are people who are on social security income and take care of kids. I don't know who the universe of those people are really. Although, there are some qualifying conditions of getting these benefits - they are old and/or low income and/or have a disability. And in this situation, all take care of kids.
What I know are the people in my life who fall into this category.
And it makes me so mad that the feds and their pettiness don't think that these grandmas who take care of their kids and grandkids, and the neighborhood, and the tenant association, deserve this. They think, somehow, that the fact that they could get it next year, if they file their taxes, which they explicitly do not have to do because their income comes from the federal government, is an acceptable outcome.
(A lot of that paragraph was all caps in my head)
And furthermore... they have the audacity to call the extremely dense email - that was sent to god-knows-who from the IRS on April 20 saying that people have till noon on April 22 to comply or not get the money this year - a campaign. They're calling it the "Plus $500 Push." Like 2 days is enough time for a public education push. for literally anything.
I just keep thinking of women I know who hold households and communities together that are on SSI/SSDI, and it just makes me mad and sad at how undervalued they are, and this is just a straw. I think about where this money will go, how deeply it's needed. And I think of the love they have poured into me and how much I value it.
Mutual aid to me means we use every resource we have to pull money out of the federal government and into the hands of people who scrape by every day.
Sigh.
As I plugged in my computer that just died on me because I was too busy ranting, I just reflected on the fact that both of the last 2 days, I woke up, went literally immediately to work (in bed, then rolling into clothes just in time to make my work video call), worked straight thru, then did a little project, dinner or painting my attic, then back to bed, laptop, and an hour or two of work while watching some gawdawful TV show. It may not be the best pattern. Ending my day stressing out over something someone sent me late, or I realized I need to do.
Comments
Post a Comment