Talking to strangers

I went on a walk in the woods with a friend on Saturday (hi Rob, pretty sure you're not reading this blog though, hah!), and I think that was my last walk with a pal for a while. It just seems too hard to actually maintain a 6-foot separation when walking on winding trails. But then Sunday I walked over to a pal's house and sat in her back yard with her. That felt good. Yesterday I left the house once, to take a walk in Crestwood, which I highly recommend -- it's so suburban over there, and it's easy to not pass anyone. Some of the streets don't even have sidewalks, so you're not gonna risk being all crammed up against someone as you pass them.

I just read this essay in the Post: "How social distancing could ultimately teach us how to be less lonely".

One of the things he writes about is the importance of eye contact for feeling human connection -- even eye contact with strangers. When I was entering Crestwood, I passed a lady shaking her rug out on her front steps. We looked at each other and said hi, and I kept walking. Then she called out after me, "Excuse me! Did you just get off the bus?" I stopped, turned, said no, I was just taking a walk. She said she was wondering how many people were riding the bus these days. It felt like she was just reaching for any excuse she could think of to strike up a conversation. Which I was very grateful for. We talked for a while, about not much, and then said goodbye.

It's really weird how even little interactions like that with total strangers can lift your mood. I have often experienced this in my life -- if I'm feeling super shit and then just go outside and someone says hi and smiles at me -- it can change everything (at least in that instant). It's wild.

I appreciate the pesto recipe! So awesome. And I love the park dance party of one. And I especially love the bumper sticker! In this age of social distancing, we should all be wearing this message on our ass. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

appreciations

Connection/Isolation

Routines and Leave