As of last night this shit is officially stressing me out.
Last night our co-op president abruptly quit the board. I love this guy -- he's an energetic, hard-charging dude with a sense of humor, and he likes to get shit done. Whenever he sees me, he gives me a big hug. We don't always agree on co-op decisions, but we're good at disagreeing, and we help make a good team on the board. But last night he quit, all of a sudden. Too much other stuff going on in his life and his family life right now that he has to deal with, he said. He has to give his full attention to his family. And of course -- we get it. He still has a job, but I'm not sure about his wife. I think his mom might have just moved in with them, probably to take care of their daughter. Three generations in two bedrooms.
Yesterday I was walking around Mt. Pleasant and saw several sets of (white) grandmas and grandparents out pushing their grandkids in strollers. It was a beautiful day, and they all looked pleased as punch. I wonder what those families are thinking. Are a lot of families doing this -- having the grandparents move in so they can have some childcare? I guess families are deciding the urgent need for childcare is worth the risk to the grandparents' health. And obviously this is more manageable if you own a million-dollar house in Mt. Pleasant than if you live in a lil apartment in Columbia Heights.
D.C. cops say the main difference, crime-wise, between the coronavirus era and before is the huge uptick in domestic violence cases. No real surprise there.
Our co-op was about to embark on a major and expensive project renovating some structural plumbing and electrical issues we've had for a long time. It requires an engineer inspecting everyone's unit. It's real hard to see how we can embark on that now. Yet people's electricity is going to keep going out. Leaks are going to keep dripping into apartments below. There's no stopping the decay of an old building. How do you repair that shit when you're on lock-down? We have lots of members in low-wage jobs -- what happens when everyone starts losing work? I spent much of this past week working with other folks in my building to come up with a coronavirus response plan, but it feels woefully insufficient.
But. I am loving the idea of more solo nature walks. And more socially distanced walks in the woods with pals, too. I am biking down to the Tidal Basin cherry trees this morning -- maybe that's rash. There are so many beautiful neighborhood cherry trees too, as you said -- there's no real need to go to the touristical sites!
If anyone wants to come hang out in our building's little front yard -- it's fenced and is kind of perfect for sitting in, 6 feet away from your pal. Hang in there buds, and keep watching those pure moods... it's wild to see how they can change over the course of a day!
Yesterday I was walking around Mt. Pleasant and saw several sets of (white) grandmas and grandparents out pushing their grandkids in strollers. It was a beautiful day, and they all looked pleased as punch. I wonder what those families are thinking. Are a lot of families doing this -- having the grandparents move in so they can have some childcare? I guess families are deciding the urgent need for childcare is worth the risk to the grandparents' health. And obviously this is more manageable if you own a million-dollar house in Mt. Pleasant than if you live in a lil apartment in Columbia Heights.
D.C. cops say the main difference, crime-wise, between the coronavirus era and before is the huge uptick in domestic violence cases. No real surprise there.
Our co-op was about to embark on a major and expensive project renovating some structural plumbing and electrical issues we've had for a long time. It requires an engineer inspecting everyone's unit. It's real hard to see how we can embark on that now. Yet people's electricity is going to keep going out. Leaks are going to keep dripping into apartments below. There's no stopping the decay of an old building. How do you repair that shit when you're on lock-down? We have lots of members in low-wage jobs -- what happens when everyone starts losing work? I spent much of this past week working with other folks in my building to come up with a coronavirus response plan, but it feels woefully insufficient.
But. I am loving the idea of more solo nature walks. And more socially distanced walks in the woods with pals, too. I am biking down to the Tidal Basin cherry trees this morning -- maybe that's rash. There are so many beautiful neighborhood cherry trees too, as you said -- there's no real need to go to the touristical sites!
If anyone wants to come hang out in our building's little front yard -- it's fenced and is kind of perfect for sitting in, 6 feet away from your pal. Hang in there buds, and keep watching those pure moods... it's wild to see how they can change over the course of a day!
Comments
Post a Comment