I canceled my trip to Cali today.

Does being vigilant make you less susceptible to the virus? At work today I was told, via conference call, that I should stay vigilant. I was told that in return for my vigilance, we could achieve a virus free workplace. I was also told to work remotely. Then I was told to schedule my remote work with my supervisor. And also that I could schedule my direct reports to work remotely, but only with the approval of my supervisor.

Okay, the bureaucracy aside, is vigilance the answer here? I can understand some cases. Be vigilant about washing your hands, as an example. Be vigilant about not shaking people’s hands. Being vigilant about the rules and guidelines. I guess there is some case for vigilance in the context of rules. Adherence. Comformation. Piousity. Fervor. Faith.

Sure, there are vast sciences of epidemiology, virology, and so forth. But it’s in the name, people. It’s novel. Motivation has been sapped. Is that a symptom? I don’t think so.

“It’s nobody’s fault, unless you go to the original spot.” Yo. What. The. Fuck.

“Once this virus is gone, I think you’ll have a stock market like nobody’s ever seen before.”

This is a totally new terrain. A new geography. For many of us, it’s our first time in this wilderness. We don’t know how to feel. We’re not sure how to integrate all this into our routine. Stabilizing forces like work schedules and meetings keep us upright and moving along. Kept us, I should say. How’s the world going to change?

Why is Mike Pence such a factotum?

What does it mean to consider something strongly?

Also, many of us are probably craving normality. This is not a selfish thought. This is a normal, reasonable thought. It doesn’t mean that we can act on it, but we can all sit quietly with our unrequited normality.

 2020: Plenty, Poppin [, Pandemic]

Comments

  1. Gems "Why is Mike Pence such a factotum?". Thanks for making me actually lol in my room socially distant from everyone but the cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just re-read this and am amazed at how the world has changed in just fifteen days.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

appreciations

Connection/Isolation

Routines and Leave